Before you call or send us a maintenance request, it may be smart to check a few things first. If you are able to take care of the issue on your own it will save many people time and money. Here are some simple things that can help you. Please refer to your lease for a detailed list of suggestions and basic housing rules.
- Use a hair catcher or guard for your drains to prevent hair or other objects from entering.
- If you have a clog, use a plunger or a zip-it drain cleaner to try and get it out yourself. We recommend that every tenant owns a plunger.
- Do not flush any cotton swabs, diapers, sanitary wipes, feminine hygiene products, paper towels, or other foreign objects down your toilets. This applies even if the product claims to be “flushable”.
- Garbage disposals are not made to process bones, rice, egg shells, coffee grounds, grease, pasta, or potato peels. If the disposal stops working, try the reset button underneath or try resetting the GFCI outlet or breaker for the disposal.
Be aware of where your GFCI outlets and breakers are. Most of the time, you will just need to reset an outlet or breaker to fix the problem.
- Keep your house clean and dry. This will prevent insects, rodents, mildew, and excessive wear and tear to your unit.
- Change the filter for your heater or air conditioner regularly. This will keep them running well.
- Be aware that you are responsible for replacing HVAC filters, light bulbs, and batteries for smoke or CO detectors. Some smoke detectors may have a sealed battery. If yours has a sealed battery, but is making noise, exit your home and call Jensen Properties.
Visit our Maintenance Videos channel to watch some demonstrations on how to do some of these things.